Sometimes it can be difficult to obtain the right documents during a roadside inspection or safety audit. This can result in wrongful charges. Don't fret! There is another option. The FMCSA DataQs web portal allows you to request a review of violations, crash data, safety audits, investigations, registration and insurance data, drug & alcohol data, PSP reports. If you feel that the information publicly listed is inaccurate, you are empowered to seek removal and/or correction of the charge/information that is in question.
Where can you access your public driving/company data?
If you're not sure what your record and/or safety scores look like, here are the links to help you find out:
- Safety Measurement System's (SMS) Behavior Analysis and Safety Improvement Categories (BASICs)
- This site displays your 7 BASICs, crash, inspection, and registration data.
- The SMS website is updated on a monthly schedule.
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association (FMCSA) Portal
- This shows similar data to the SMS link above. However, the crash, inspection, and registration data is updated more regularly.
- Safety and Fitness Electronic Records (SAFER) Website - Company Snapshot
- This site provides company information including size, commodity information, safety records, out-of-service inspections, and crash information.
- Drivers: Request Your Employment Screening Program report on this FMCSA website
How do you complete a Request for Data Review (RDR)?
When you wish to move forward with a review request for a violation, charge, or record, you must perform an RDR, or Request for Data Review, on the DataQs website. The request will alert the correct department and local officials to take the next appropriate action. Once the request is processed, you can log in to the portal and see the status and contact information for the assigned officer/reviewer, if applicable.
Here's the process.
- Visit the DataQs website and create an account.
- Once you login, click on the "Add a Request" button on the MyDataQs dashboard
- Select the event type that you wish to appeal, provide a reason for the review, and the details of the event as requested in the online form.
- Upload your supporting documents. We recommend exporting log data or relevant telematics data to provide sufficient evidence.
- Confirm the information and submit your request.
How do you monitor the status of your Request for Data Review?
Once submitted, your request will be directed to the appropriate department and local officials. You can check the status of your request by logging into the DataQs web portal and following these steps:
- From the dashboard, view your list of requests under "Monitor Requests"
- Select the appropriate request and click the "details" button.
- A summary of your request will display, along with any responses and supporting documents. We recommend printing or saving a PDF of these reports when responses are updated, especially if the charge or violation is removed or lessened.
IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION 1/10/2020: The FMCSA DataQs website is experiencing periodic technical failures due to the launch of the Public Clearinghouse release and implementation. You may encounter temporary difficulties until the issues are resolved.